FLOYDS KNOBS, IN- On May 10, 2019 at 7:15 PM Lafayette Township Fire Protection District, along with New Chapel Fire Department, were dispatched to 1919 Plum Hill Way on smoke coming from a ice machine. First arriving units found large amounts smoke coming from an area on the first floor near the kitchen. Suppression crews began to seek out and extinguish the fire on the first floor but efforts were not gaining any ground. Firefighters quickly realized they had a fire between the first floor and the basement void spaces in the flooring in the twelve thousand square foot home. Additional firefighting crews from Georgetown Township Fire Protection District and Greenville Township Volunteer Fire Department were then requested for additional man power. As firefighters began opening up the ten foot tall ceilings in the basement, they encountered the heavy fire between the floors and extinguished it. The fire was called under control after about two hours. Crews spent several hours after making sure the fire had not spread to other unseen areas.
Fire damage was contained to a five hundred square foot area to the basement and some damage to the first floor. Most of the homeowner’s possessions were able to be salvaged. No one was injured during the fire.
While LTFPD was on scene a engine from Sellersburg Fire Department manned St1 to cover the area for additional calls.
At 5:49 Friday morning a box alarm was dispatched for a structure fire at 100 Lafollette Station South. Which is the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Family Sports Restaurant. A box alarm is a automatic dispatch of all three upper county fire department to a reported structure fire. With special truck assignments from each department. Deputy Chief Todd Schindler, of the Lafayette Twp. Fire Protection District was first to arrive on the scene. He advised that the fire was in the sign on the South side of the building but was not actively on fire. LTFPD’s Quad 11 and Georgetown Township’s Ladder 2 arrived on the scene and began to check the sign and the building for further evidence of the fire extending into the building. The fire involved only the sign and a fabric awning just below the sign. A Yellow Ambulance crew staged in the area had seen the incident and reported the fire. Their actions are credited to keeping the fire from becoming larger and saving that and other businesses adjacent to Beef ‘O’ Brady’s. The initial cause of the fire was cause by a bird nest in the sign that was set fire due to the electricity arcing or reaching combustible temperatures.
Crews on scene had difficulty accessing the interior do to the building owners not wanting to install a Knox Box master key box. This saves time and money to the businesses by allowing fire departments easier access to the structure without having to damage doors or windows. Knox boxes are nearly indestructible and can only be accessed by the fire department with a special key. It would house “master key(s)” that would open any door on the property. LTFPD’s Administrators are still working with the building owner (they are not the operators of Beef ‘O’ Brady’s).
Minutes before 2PM Tuesday, Lafayette Township Fire Protection District was dispatched, along with Georgetown Twp FPD and Greenville Vol. FD, to reports of a structure fire on Maple Grove. The fire was reported by the security company that monitors the home and by a neighbor that lived directly behind the residence. The fire had started in the home’s garage that was separated by a enclosed “breeze way”. most of the breeze way had been consumed by the fire and was beginning to move up the siding into the second floor of the home. Fortunately, Georgetown Twp, FPD arrived on scene and slowed the progress of the fire. With the assistance from Lafayette’s Quad 11 and Greenville Twp. Vol. Fire the fire was contained in less than 20 minutes. Two of the families dogs were also saved from the fire and were not injured. With the combined effort of all the department most of the home was saved. The cause of the fire is under investigation by Georgetown Twp Fire Protection District.
11:32PM Monday Night, the Lafayette Twp. And Georgetown Twp. Fire Protection Districts were dispatched to a motor vehicle collision with a vehicle on fire. The crash was located I-64 West bound at the 120 Mile Marker. As the first fire units arrived on scene, a passenger vehicle had collided into a small pick-up truck that was on the shoulder. Reports from by-standers at the scene were the pick-up truck was assisting another vehicle that had broken down in the emergency lane. A wrecker had picked up the disabled vehicle when the small pick-up truck was struck by the passenger vehicle and caught fire. At 11:56 PM the fire was called under control. There was one person killed in the small pick-up truck. Injuries to the other persons involved are not known by LTFPD. The roadway was reopened at 3:43 AM on Tuesday morning. The crash is under further investigation by the Floyd County C.A.R.T.
Wednesday, we were notified that our website had a page that was in very bad taste. This page was called “Ambulance Drivers”. It used vulgarity and made negative statements about the public. We have proudly served our citizens in our communities for over fifty years. This post is not from ANY of our current or former employees. It was written by someone claiming to be a Chief of the WCU EMS in North Carolina, which was false. As for how it ended up on our website, we are investigating with our current web host. If you come across this article anywhere in social media, please send us an email to the link as we are continuing to investigate.
Late Monday morning, Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Department in Washington Co. called for mutual aid on a structure fire they had been fighting since midnight. It was located at 5143 East Mann Road. Georgetown Twp, Greenville Twp, and Lafayette Twp fire departments were called to the scene. As the first units arrived on scene Jackson Township fire department handed over the scene to Georgetown Township FD officers and left the scene. From second hand information, Jackson Township VFD left the scene due to exhausted firefighters and apparatus that was low on fuel. Palmyra VFD was also called to the scene to help as well. The structure was a complete loss but no one was injured in the fire. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
Thursday afternoon LTFD A shift, Captain John Miller, Firefighter Ryan Houchen and Firefighter David Ranz, assisted an elderly couple that didn’t have properly operating smoke detectors. The crew discovered this when they made a EMS run to the home a few days earlier. They replaced a detector and replaced batteries in the rest of the homes detectors.
Lafayette Twp Fire Department can not stress enough how important it is to have properly operating smoke detectors in your home. If you need assistance with your detectors, please call the fire house 812-923-8003.
Tuesday Afternoon, around 2:45PM, Lafayette Twp Fire Protection District was dispatched by request of the NCFC on a field fire in the 6400 Blk of Grantline Road. Brush 15, the UTV, Chief 1101 and Dep. Chief 1103 responded. Units arrived on the scene to find the area involved with fire was to soft for even light brush trucks to operate. One apparatus from New Chapel had already gotten stuck. The entire field was scorched but the progression of the fire was halted. No injuries or structures were damaged. The apparatus that was stuck was able to be removed from it’s situation.
The Nation Weather Service office in Louisville, Ky updated their weather briefing for the upcoming winter storm. They modified the timing of the Winter Storm WARNING to begin at 7AM Friday. We have their 1PM update here. To read all 7 slides click on the pictures. The members of our community should expect travel restrictions starting late Friday morning through Saturday. Plan ahead and run errands today if possible. During the storm STAY HOME. Let road crews do their work with empty streets.